We are a municipal (city) funded shelter and animal control department that operates on the limited budget. This budget covers staffing 2 full time and 2 part time employees to be available 24/7 for animal control, building operations such as utilities, maintenance, and supplies, vehicle gasoline and maintenance for 2 vehicles, and $10,000 a year for veterinarian supplies and services.
We take in approximately 1200 animals a year, 800 of those are cats and 400 are dogs. Our veterinarian supplies and services budget only provides $8 per animal that enters our shelter. It will cost approximately $43,000 for cats and dogs a year to receive all preventative vet care and spay or neuter surgeries as part of their adoption benefits.
In order for us to provide preventative veterinarian care, spay/neuter, and other quality of life products for the animals while they are in our care we depend on monetary donations.
Monetary donations that are donated are kept available to the shelter and us alone. No other city department may use them. Donors are welcome to designate what they want their donated dollars to be spent on, such as on spay/neuter or sponsorship of a particular animal.
What we commonly spend donation dollars on:
- heartworm tests
- heartworm preventative
- FELV testing
- flea preventative
- spay/neuter surgery
- medical supplies, such as syringes, needles, tongue depressors, fluids, etc.
- equipment, such as appliances, storage racks, crates, kennels, carriers, etc.
- enrichment products, such as kongs, busy toys, hiding boxes, scratch bricks, etc.
- sponsorship towards adoption fee, spay/neuter fees, special medical care
- continuing education for staff
- special projects, such as dog houses, kuranda beds, etc.
We can accept cash, check and cards. You can make payment online by clicking PayGov.
Every little bit helps and the animals of Rushville Animal Shelter will appreciate the gift you are able to give.