We welcome anyone who is needing to complete community service hours for their court appointed, school, or project requirement.
- Must be 14 years or older, unless accompanied by an adult
- Bring any documents or list of requirements that need to be filled out by staff or the Director
- Sign a waiver, anyone age 14 to 17 years will need a parent to sign
- Have a good attitude and be prepared to do some dirty work
- Able to work while not under the influence of drugs or alcohol – being under the influence places you and others at high risk of injury
- Able to take and follow instructions from staff
- Time is reported in real hours worked, for example 1 hour of work equals 1 hour of community service
Court appointed community service individuals should expect to mainly do house keeping. If time allows, you might get an opportunity to take dogs for walks or play with the animals. Duties typically involve:
- Assisting staff with projects
- Cleaning cat kennels
- Any other duties assigned by staff
All other community service individuals will have the opportunity to choose what type of volunteer work they participate in. See Volunteering for list of options.
You are welcome to complete your community service Monday through Friday 8am to 4pm and Saturday 8am to Noon. Doors to the building are kept locked between 8am and 10am – please knock on the door or call 765-932-4754 to let us know you are here to complete your community service.
The shelter is typically staffed with 2 to 3 people Monday through Friday, however on Saturday there is only one staff member and they are also on call. If the staff member needs to leave to attend to an animal control call, all customers and volunteers will be asked to step outside. Everyone is welcome to remain on the property until the staff member returns.